- Tarvis Thompson-Pace
Staff Spotlight: Meet Mr. T
It’s time for another Staff Spotlight!
Paraprofessionals provide essential support for students who qualify for special education based on their learning or physical disabilities or other impairments. Traditionally, such support was primarily in the form of clerical and one-on-one student assistance.
The responsibilities of today’s special education paraprofessionals vary and can include providing instructional support under the direct supervision of the teacher, modifying materials based on student needs, implementing behavior intervention plans, and collecting data.
No matter what the special education paraprofessional does, they are a valued member of the student success team. We’re excited to profile our new 5th grade special education paraprofessional in the latest faculty and staff spotlight.
1. Welcome to Laurel Ridge! What is your title, what grade do you teach and what do you do each day in the classroom?
My title is 5th Grade Special Ed Paraprofessional. I assist and make accommodations for students I’ve been assigned to support.
2. How long have you been an educator?
This is my first year being an educator.
3. Tell us a little about your career- where did you attend college and teach before coming to Laurel Ridge?
I attended Alabama A&M University and graduated in the spring of 2020.
4. Who or what inspired your career? My mother. She is the bookkeeper at Rockbridge Elementary School and inspired me to become an educator.
5. What do you like to do for fun?
Something I like to do for fun is watch football on the weekends and spend time with my girlfriend as we prepare for our daughter who will be born in November. 6. What were your favorite subjects when you were in 5th grade? In 5th grade my favorite subject was Math.
7. There is a viral social media story about a boy and his love of corn. Are you team corn? Yes, I am definitely team corn. It has the juice!
8. For a low vision or visually impaired person, how would you describe the color yellow?
I would describe yellow as interesting, cheerful, sunny and warm. 10. If you were a superhero, what superpowers would you have? If I were a superhero, my superpower would be the power to heal.