Staff Spotlight: Meet Ms. Thomas
Updated: Oct 19, 2022
It’s time for another Staff spotlight. Most parents can recall the anxiety they felt ahead of their child/children’s first day of ‘big school.’ Will they need a nap? Will they be able to find the bathroom? Will they need my hugs and kisses? In almost
every situation, our little ones showed more strength than we did.
Kindergarten is important for helping children develop a daily routine and feel a sense of accomplishment for completing tasks by themselves. Did you know kindergarten has a German origin that means garden for children? At Laurel Ridge, we create an evergreen environment in our learning garden where all students can grow throughout the year.
We’re excited to profile our new kindergarten teacher Ms. Thomas in the latest faculty and staff spotlight!
1. Welcome to Laurel Ridge! What grade do you currently teach?
Thank you! I currently teach kindergarten.
2. How long have you been a teacher?
This is my 5th year teaching. I previously taught 2nd grade for 4 years.
3. What subjects were you fond of when you were in elementary school? I enjoyed science when I was in elementary school because I was able to explore and I found it to be interesting.
4. Who was your kindergarten best friend and what made them such a good friend to you?
Growing up my kindergarten best friend was my cousin. Since I do not have a sister, she was like a sister to me, and she still is. She was kind and caring. She always played with me when I did not have a friend to play with.
5. What is your teaching philosophy? Influencing young minds is a task that cannot be taken lightly. Teaching is filled with challenges, frustrations, and responsibilities. However, shaping the minds of the future is also filled with excitement, wonder, and joy. All students have the right to learn and to succeed. I also want to create a classroom that is a safe learning environment for every student. 6. Are you team Android or team Apple? I am team Apple! 7. What was your favorite movie as a kid? My favorite movie as a kid was A Bug's Life.
8. What is your favorite way to spend your day off? I like to relax and catch up on my favorite shows or watch a movie. I also love spending time with friends and family when I get the chance.
9. You have your own late night talk show. Who would you invite as your first guest?
I am a huge Beyonce fan, so without a doubt she would be my first guest!